University of North America
UoNA Global Blue Logo
Sign In
Contact Us

ADMISSIONS International Student Office

Prospective Students

To Obtain an F-1 Visa a student should:

The University of North America is authorized by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) of the Department of Homeland Security to issue the Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status) with which accepted students from other countries can apply for the F-1 visa to study full-time in the United States at the university campus in full-time courses of study offered by the University of North America.

At the University of North America, the decision as to whether or not to admit an applicant is made by the Admissions Department. The International Student Affairs Office does not evaluate international applications nor make acceptance decisions.

F-1 applicants must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds (or a sponsor with sufficient funds) to cover all their academic and living expenses while studying in the United States. Federal regulations do not permit an F-1 student to "work their way through school."

When an applicant is accepted and shows sufficient funding, a SEVIS record is created and an I-20 is issued and shipped to the applicant with instructions on the steps to take to apply for an F-1 visa from a US Consulate or Embassy.

Applicants who are already in the US studying on an F-1 visa at another institution will be sent instructions on steps to take to have their SEVIS record transferred to the University of North America after which an I-20 for transfer can be issued.


Attending on Other Visas

Many foreign nationals live in the US for extended periods of time on a variety of temporary visas. Federal regulations may permit such individuals to study "incidental" to their primary status. This means that as long as the individual continues to maintain their status, they are permitted to attend school either full-time or part-time while they fulfill the primary obligations of their status. Students in these categories are not required to show funding for their studies when applying to the university. 

A link to whether or not your status allows you to attend school is available here:

Applicants or already enrolled students in a different visa status may be eligible to apply for F-1 status in order to begin or continue their studies in the US. The International Office can provide instructions and facilitate the Change of Status process. It is not necessary to engage the services of an immigration attorney.

Study Options for Tourists

Tourists in the US are only permitted to enroll in recreational programs.  Tourists are not permitted to enroll in full-time academic programs until or unless they apply for a change of status to F-1 and their petitions are approved.

F-2 Dependents

Dependents of F-1 students have F-2 status. F-2 minor children (elementary and secondary school age) are permitted to attend school. However, F-2 spouses and college age F-2 children are not permitted to attend academic programs in F-2 status. They must apply for a Change of Status to F-1 in order to attend an academic program. Recreational or vocational courses like those permitted to tourists are allowed.